Sunday, April 20, 2008

Poser alert!

The first thing we nee dot establish, are we imitating them as writers, are we going to imitate them in public, or just over the Internet?

Let’s see I guess there’s only one author I could see myself posing at, no wait (takes a sip of beer), there’s at least two, I think. First I think Mark Twain, or Samuel Clemens would be a blast. I get to write about America and be old and cranky. I could spend time in the south. I just really like most of the things he’s written and most everyone in America has read at least a part of a book by him, and since he’s dead, I think imitating him would be pretty easy. Just get my pipe, some scotch on the rocks, and wear a nice white suit with a monocle, I could pull this off, even in public, maybe.

Besides Mark Twain I could pose as Stephen King. Let’s see he’s been writing horror and fantasy books for at least the last 20 years or so. The plots and monsters in his books have started to slide downhill a bit. I’m sure I could come up with something like his that would be pretty authentic. There’s even an episode of “Family Guy” that makes fun of him, as he pitches the next idea of his book to his publisher. It’s about a lamp monster and the publisher just tells Stephen King that’s he no longer trying is he. So I’m sure I could write as bad as he does. And since I wear glasses and have dark hair this one would be easy in public as well.

And who can forget Ernest Hemingway, a drunk by nature. I’m almost sure he wrote most of his stories while inebriated, now that would be a fun way to write. Just toss back some booze and beers and start writing, and since you’ll be so drunk at the time, no one will be able to read what you wrote not even yourself. Let’s see I would have to work on my classical English a bit, look up some hunting information in the 19th century, but I think I could pull off a decent imitation of him, maybe on the Internet.

1 comment:

Donnie Warner said...

I think your ability to sum up these authors is very accurate. It would be fun to get drunk or wear a monocle.