Saturday, February 23, 2008

Comics vs literature or as I liked to say boring vs fun

Well can Comics be considered literature? I feel that comics with their pictures, graphics, and doodles could be literature. Dictionary.com says literature is "..writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.."

So comics have writing in them, there is expression and form to the writing and to the art. I guess some of them could be considered essays or novels in an unconventional sense. There are some universal characteristics. Hell most kids know who Superman and Batman are, well at least kids in the modern world. I'm sure the Communist countries of the last-half century had comics glorifying their leaders and bashing the west. Comics share a lot of these features and some of them have very in depth stories.

Now the debate between graphic novels and comics might get nasty. I have a feeling more people would consider graphic novels as literature vs comics. Comics tend to be shorter and run in series. Graphic novels feel like more work has gone into them, and seem to tell a complete story, most of the time, well I guess not always.

What about the idea of entertainment? Most of us are entertained by literature, can't comics do the same on a diffrent level. Some may argue comics are only for kids and are dumbed down. That's not always true sometimes comics and graphic novels deal with real world issues just in a different sense. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I think some comics could be considered literature. If someone made "Crime and Punishment" into a graphic novel I still wouldn't read it, why cause its boring.

Graphic novels that I enjoy Punisher, Walking Dead(black/white art with lots of zombies), Marvel Zombies, and a few more I've forgotten.

Song/video for the blog Stone Temple Pilots- Interstate Love Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGVobPA6b4Q

Also in further debate for next week which is better, Keystone Ice or Keystone Light, both taste bad, cost about the same, but one will make you hit the floor faster. So many choices and so little time.

No comments: